Tips for a healthy recovery
The post-surgery recovery period varies from person to person. Some patients breeze through this time whilst others find it more difficult. Some patients may get a bit depressed and wonder if they have done the right thing.
Regardless of the procedure there will be both physical and emotional issues to consider during recovery. It's important to remember not to rush the healing process.
Here are some helpful hints for a healthy recovery:
- Reduce swelling following facial surgery by applying ice. Even if Dr Zacharia has applied bandages to reduce swelling you may need to apply ice periodically. Ask Dr Zacharia how long you should continue this.
- Plan your recovery time. Depending on the surgery, recovery time could range from a few days to a few weeks. Keep this in mind as it affects your work, family, and social schedules during this period.
- Be realistic in your expectations. You are going to look worse before looking better. Most procedures involve bruising and swelling. Your actual results won't reveal themselves for a few days (or longer) so don't panic! In some cases it can take up to 12 months to see your final results. Let the natural healing process take place. If you suspect a problem please contact Dr Zacharia.
- Follow Dr Zacharias guidelines. Whether it is taking prescribed medication, when to resume regular exercise, or hygiene instructions, Dr Zacharia and his nurse can provide the best advice for a safe and healthy recovery.
- Arrange for care for the initial 24 - 48 hours after surgery. Even though you feel fit to resume your normal routines, having someone there to assist you will allow the healing process to occur normally and with less disruption.
- Rehydrate your body often. Drink water frequently, it will help to replenish your lost body fluids. Eat lightly for the first few days and only food that is easy to swallow and digest.
- Keep elevated for a few days. This will reduce swelling and speed the recovery process without compromising the results.
- Avoid exposure to direct sunlight. Use sun block with 30+ UV protections to protect your skin.
- Purchase a Health Healing Pack from Dr Zacharias, including Zinc, Bromelain and Resveratrol or Repairase.
If you would like an electronic copy of the below, please download here »